Grabbing the Wrong Guns
Prime Minister Trudeau has moved quickly to attach his long-planned gun grab to the tragedy that has devastated the people of Nova Scotia. Law-abiding citizens who legally possess and use firearms are his target.
There are many things wrong with his approach. Let’s take them one-by-one:
- It is unethical to exploit the tragedy in Nova Scotia as justification for an unrelated gun grab. The types of firearms banned by the PM and Justice Minister David Lametti are not the types of firearms used by the gunman who caused so much pain to the wonderful people of Nova Scotia.
- The gunman used a variety of weapons, including long guns such as are used by hunters across the country. He also took a service pistol from Constable Heidi Stevenson, the RCMP officer he gunned down near Shubenacadie, NS. How long before the PM decides to also ban these weapons?
- The gunman did not have a firearms possession licence; every firearm he owned was already illegal and his acquisition of any gun was illegal. His impersonation of a police officer was illegal. Setting fire to homes was illegal. Misusing a firearm to commit murder was illegal. The new ban on certain firearms would not have saved a single life in Nova Scotia.
- Laws do have an impact on compliant, law-abiding citizens but criminals will continue to acquire firearms illegally—whether prohibited or not—and we know that many of these come from across our porous U.S. border. New laws do not make law-abiding citizens out of criminals. The old saying still applies: “When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns”.
- The Prime Minister seems to think that hunting is the only valid purpose for owning a firearm. That opinion ignores the other two legitimate purposes for owning firearms: sport-shooting and, more importantly, self-defence. Every person has a God-given right to defend himself or herself, their families and their homes. The historical value of firearms is not only to defend our homes from violent offenders but also to defend our freedoms from tyrannical despots. Tyrants always move to disarm their citizens when they want to exercise autocratic power over them.
- The fantasy that firearms play no role in self-defence shows the hypocrisy of the elite. The Prime Minister himself has an armed security detail. He doesn’t have to carry because others carry for him. I’m sure every MP was grateful to Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers who used real bullets to protect them from the Parliament shooter in October 2014.
- The PM’s efforts to confiscate select categories of firearms constitute a violation of the fundamental principle of the right to own property. His father, Pierre Trudeau, chose not to include property rights when he patriated the Constitution in 1982 via the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. However, since true rights are given by God, not by human governments, the right to own property is a human right understood by all from the beginning of history. Although the PM is trying to soften the blow by offering to compensate firearms owners who surrender their firearms to the government within two years, ultimately their guns will be subject to confiscation—if not from the current owner, then from his or her rightful heirs.
- Making any weapon illegal will not change the hearts of the wicked. Until respect for human life is restored in our country, murders can and will be committed by the use of other weapons. Canada, especially under this Prime Minister, has abandoned the principle of respect for human life. Over 100,000 babies are killed by abortion each year. Now, since the passage of Assisted Suicide under this liberal government, vulnerable senior citizens are also being killed by the thousands every year. Public schools are not allowed to teach biblical morality such as the age-old commandment: “Thou shalt not kill”; why should we be surprised when one of our citizens applies deception and technology to take innocent lives? Our own government has set the example.
- Liberals will be Liberals. Even the introduction of this order-in-council gun ban has in it a racial element. Indigenous Canadians are excluded from the ban. Hiding behind Section 35 of the Constitution, the Justice Minister said, “There will be an exception for Indigenous peoples”. None of these banned firearms were being used for subsistence hunting when the British North America Act was passed but now this violation of private property is being applied along racial lines. When the PM said “You don’t need an AR-15 to take down a deer”, apparently he only meant for some people.
The Christian Heritage Party of Canada supports the rights of properly-trained, law-abiding citizens to possess and use firearms for hunting, sport and self-defence. Criminals, especially violent criminals, must be held accountable for their deeds, both in the name of justice and for deterrence. Our justice system must have, as a primary goal, public safety and the protection of innocent human life. This can only be achieved by establishing a respect for life and property and by consistently enforcing existing laws. Creating new laws that only law-abiding Canadians will obey will not make Canadians safer, nor will grabbing the guns of law-abiding citizens. Contact the Prime Minister and your own MP and tell them to punish criminals, not hunters and sports enthusiasts. To help us protect your rights join CHP today!
Share to Gab
Other Commentary by Rod Taylor:
- Une question de vie ou de mort : votre vote compte vraiment!
- A Matter of Life and Death: Your Vote Really Matters!
- Que vient-il de se passer?
- What Just Happened?
- Une tente bleue plus grande. Pas de piquets de tente.
- A Bigger Blue Tent. No Tent Pegs.
- Alliances impies
- Unholy Alliances
- Élection selon la prescience de Dieu
- Elect According to the Foreknowledge of God
- Censure et partisanerie - un terrible partenariat!
- Censorship and Partisanship—a Terrible Partnership!