- Defend against Human Rights Commission attacks on free speech.
- Protect conscience rights.
- Defend democracy and the constitution.
- Legislation to enshrine private property rights which Canadians currently do not have.
- Affirm the right to protect home and family.
The CHP would maintain the current Possession Acquisition Firearms Licence (PAL) for both restricted and non-restricted firearms. This Federal licence ensures that the firearm owner is properly trained and indicates of which firearm types the bearer is qualified to be in possession. It also allows police to know who owns a firearms licence. If persons become a danger to society, their firearms licence can be revoked.
- The CHP applauds the end of the long gun registry which was used to record the serial number of all long guns being purchased or transferred. This very expensive system cost the Canadian tax payers millions of dollars and was finally eliminated.
- The CHP would provide public-use of rifle and pistol certification programs for civilians on existing military and the Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR) ranges. This would develop and encourage firearms ownership, enhance safety and allow people to be aware of their obligations and responsibilities.
- The CHP would instruct the Firearms Centre to issue (shall issue) Type III Authorization to Carry permits to any Restricted Firearm Possession and Acquisition licence holder who asks for one. Having the right to own a firearm is not enough; Canadians should have the right to carry one for self-defence.
- The CHP will maintain the registration of handguns but would restore the right of Canadians to own .32 and .25 calibre firearms of barrel lengths shorter than 4.1 inches. Small handguns will do much to end the fear currently experience by many because of violent ex-partners. The current system of restraining orders has clearly proved a failure.
- The CHP would do away with the requirement for the purchaser to belong a gun club when purchasing a handgun. In its place the CHP would require all training to include live firings (on a range) of both handguns and long guns.
Governments have manipulated statistics to hide the fact that Canadian society is becoming more and more violent, with less and less regard for the sanctity of human life.
Recidivism (repeat offenses) is at an unacceptably high level. Police feel handicapped by lax court decisions: offenders are often back on the streets before the police have completed the paper-work for their arrests!
The Government's current Gun Control plan is 'overkill'. Punish Criminals, not our Sportsmen